Registered Downriver Historic Places

Downriver Structures Inducted into the Michigan Register of Historic Places

Columbia Steamer (Boblo Boat)

LOCATION:  Currently in New York State
INDUCTION:  1979
NOTES:  Moved from its port outside River Rouge in the autumn of 2015.

St. James Episcopal Church

LOCATION:  Grosse Ile Township
INDUCTION:  1974
NOTES:  Part of the more general area titled “East River Road Historical District.”

North Hickory Canal Bridge (Grosse Ile)

LOCATION:  Grosse Ile Township
INDUCTION:  2000
NOTES:  More unique concrete slab construction was due to steel shortage during 1940s wartime.

Marx House

LOCATION:  Biddle Avenue north of downtown
INDUCTION:  1976
NOTES:  Built in 1862, six different owners, including Wyandotte’s first druggist.

Huron River/ Harbin Drive Bridge

LOCATION: Border of Brownstown & Berlin Twp.
INDUCTION:  2000
NOTES:  Larger Jefferson Avenue beam bridge built in 1930; Harbin Dr.  bridge date unknown.

Parke Lane/Thorofar Canal Bridge

LOCATION:  Northern end of Grosse Ile Twp.
INDUCTION:  2000
NOTES:  Another one of the historic bridges to use a rare cantilever-arch design.

Hull’s Trace/ Hull’s Trail

LOCATION:  36000 block Jefferson, B’town Twp.
INDUCTION:  2010
NOTES:  Part of route that ran from Urbana OH.  This segment is called a Corduroy Road.

Southpointe Bridge/ Frenchman’s Crk.

LOCATION:  East of Grosse Ile Municipal Airport
INDUCTION:  2000
NOTES:  T-Beam bridge commissioned in 1939 by the Federal Works Progress Administration.

River Rouge Bascule Bridge

LOCATION: Jefferson, border Rouge & Detroit
INDUCTION:  2000
NOTES:  Only remaining pony truss bascule bridge in the state, has been closed since 2013.

Lincoln Park Post Office

 

LOCATION:  Southfield Rd. west of Fort Street
INDUCTION:  2004
NOTES:  Dedicated as a Post Office August 5, 1939… Now the home of the Historical Society.

John & Emma Lacey Eberts House

LOCATION:  Biddle Avenue north of downtown
INDUCTION:  2009
NOTES:  When purchased by the city, it was initially slated for demolition to clear land.

George P. MacNichol Home

LOCATION:  Biddle & Vinewood, Wyandotte
INDUCTION:  1984
NOTES:  Mr.  MacNichol designed this home in 1894 as a wedding gift for his daughter.

Thorofare Canal Bridge

LOCATION:  Parke Lane over Thorofare Canal
INDUCTION:  2000
NOTES:  Its historical significance stems from its rare cantilever-arch design (two half-arches).

Ford-Bacon House

LOCATION:  45 Vinewood, Wyandotte
INDUCTION:  1997
NOTES:  The house was given to the Wyandotte Public School System by Mary Bacon in 1942.

Gibraltar Waterway Canal Bridge

LOCATION:  Middle Gibraltar Road
INDUCTION:  2000
NOTES:  As with the Thorofare Canal bridge, it also used a rare cantilever-arch design.

Ste. Claire (Bob-Lo) Steamer

LOCATION:  Detroit River
INDUCTION:  1979
NOTES:  The Ste. Claire is still seeking donations for its restoration.  Now docked near the Dix Road lift-bridge south of the Rouge Factory complex.

Wyandotte Oddfellows Temple

LOCATION:  81 Chestnut Street (west of Biddle, near downtown)
INDUCTION:  2009
NOTES:  The Independent Order of Odd Fellows was a fraternal organization, building built in 1911.  Used by the Masons, 1943-1993.

You might also like